Thursday, October 13, 2005

from china with love




between being slightly overwhelmed by my (great) new job, and distinctly overwhelmed by a nasty flu, i haven't had the time or energy for a lot of important-to-me things.
i did manage, though, to spend a splendid evening (smiles and recognition and endless camera-talk) with the wonderful tomo in amsterdam last week...
and i did manage to pick up some developed and printed test rolls from a couple of new/old cameras.
these two images are from a great wall DF-2 which my husband, sweet person that he is, negotiated at a beijing market stall during his recent holiday in china. i confess: my inexperience with the waist-level viewfinder had me waving the thing wildly in all directions, much to the puzzlement of passers-by, but i am not displeased with the results.
my second oriental souvenir was a seagull TLR, which turned out, like the great wall, to be in delectable working order - and it smells ravishing - but i'll save its little efforts for another day.


13 comments:

  1. Great photo's.
    Now if I remember rightly the great wall DF-2 is a double lensed no zoom reflex camera.
    Amazing. Never seen one for real. Must come and visit :-)
    Next time I take a flight...

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely, both shots ... my favorite though is the upper one! So glad for you, you like your new job! I am still searching for a new one but with the recent developements in Germany politics I fear chances are not really getting better. ;o(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely photos, and very happy to hear you like your new job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well these are superb. I think you may have to hire your husband out for CHinese Camera buying trips. Can't wait to see what else you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore these shots Lynn.
    I'm loving all the work you're doing with these new/old cameras you've been picking up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to hear you're enjoying the new job. And... I'm jealous of your new found camera's ;-). I love the square format. Someday I hope to own a Seagull too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. so moody, love these!
    awesome to hear you're enjoying your new job! that counts for so much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. it was so nice to meet you. thank you so much. and i love these great wall images!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lynn,
    While so much of your work is about wonderful colors that only you can capture, that same magic is present in these black and whites. The poetic depth of field and subtle subjects are all yours. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. the first one is great. DOF gives a nice feeling of lightness.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great story to go along with the Great Wall. The daisy photo is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always loved the waist level viewfinders. The mirror-image image (well, you know what I mean) just slightly changes how you look at things, as does the lower level.
    And I'm so happy you're enjoying your new job! That's one worry less.

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh, these are just lovely! what beautiful captures. :)
    i hope you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete