Friday, March 21, 2003

just breathing isn't living




an inspirational search is what it all boiled down to: the words "transparent" and "curtain" and "airy". i scanned a hundred quotations, in vain...or almost in vain. suddenly this caught my eye:
"I can't see anythin, ter be glad about -- gettin, a pair of crutches when you wanted a doll!" . ./ "Goosey! Why, just be glad because you don,t need 'em! . . ."
Eleanor H. Porter (1868 - 1920) US novelist
"Pollyanna," Ch. 5, 1912.

i had no idea what it had to do with the theme i was researching, but it made me smile. it made me think not only of donna and her knee-progress, but of my college years, when i was affectionately accused of having the 'pollyanna syndrome'.
"Oh, yes, the game was to just find something about everything to be glad about -- not matter what twas."
i endured the good-natured teasing, because i knew - and still know - that this is one of the major truths of life.


No comments:

Post a Comment