Thursday, December 11, 2003

just one night



i visit, as part of my job, between ten and fifteen amsterdam hotels - the small one-and-two-star ones, mostly - per month, functioning as a kind of contact person, monitoring quality and dealing with complaints from both ends of our cooperative arrangement. i've seen accommodations that have made my brow furrow in dismay, and accommodations (like the one where this photo was taken) that have warmed my heart.
this sunday, i get to experience the luxury side of the hospitality business: a complementary (promotional thing) night-plus-breakfast at one of the best five-star hotels in the city, and one of my special favourites because of the 18th-century vicarage which has been left standing in the atrium lobby, and which houses a lovely beamed and fireplaced little bar.
a tiny vacation: i've been looking forward to it for weeks.
first, however, i need to shake this miserable flu.

9 comments:

  1. Ooh, yes ... that atrium looks lovely. Frequently, tiny vacations are the best. I must do more of this ... a weekend in the Blue Mountains would be good about now.
    Hope the 'flu goes soon. Luckily, I have been sniffle'n'ache free for months now ... I know ... I know ... tempting fate ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. i hope you feel better soon. lovely image, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amsterdam ... everyone should spend a certain amount of time there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. maziar, i totally agree..have you been?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am battling the flu as well. I hope that you are back to normal for your mini-vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ~your verbiage always compliments the image so well, great stuff!~

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope the flu get's away while sitting at the fireplace...

    ReplyDelete
  8. So jealous. Hope you feel better soon! And thanks for the email. Yes, I'm fine. Just feeling rather quiet. Just a phase I go through sometimes. 8)

    ReplyDelete